Club Disadvantage

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kevin (K4VD)
    Participant

I’m a member of a very small club. It’s usual we only have two operators. Reaching 200 contacts for 2 people can be impossible. Just getting back to a location to continue the activation may not be possible.

I’d like to suggest a formula of 44 x (# of participants) for activation with the maximum required being 200. This means a small club like ours has a decent chance of completing an activation but larger clubs (more than 5 or more) still just need to reach the 200 minimum for activation.

VK4FW
    Participant

Did I miss something here, for wwff activation to count it is just 44 qsos. Is there some other rule somewhere for this 200……….. gee 99% of operations in VK would not count if there was. Most get 44 and go home which is something I would personally like to see changed. It is very difficult with band conditions the way they are unless your portable set up is substantial most can not even here you…….. not something easy to click your fingers and change. My portable set up is a full sized quarter wave vertical on all the bands I want to operate on ( home brew ) complete with 37 radials. I take my trusty old K3 and KPA500 amp with the gen set. I operate ssb and love cw so I have a distinct advantage over most others.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by VK4FW. Reason: spelling mistake
    Kevin (K4VD)
    Participant

Hi… it’s probably me that is misunderstanding the rules. I’m reading…

4.9 Club call signs or special event call signs
    For all WWFF activations undertaken by a club, a minimum of 200
    QSOs are required for the WWFF activation to be valid.

Does this mean to activate a WWFF site with a club call I need 200 QSOs? If so, then my request above stands. If not, then I don’t understand what this quote from the rules means.

Kev K4VD

Andrew M0YMA
    Keymaster

Kevin, there is no disadvantage for the individual operator – they still get the personal credit (at 44 QSOs) as long as the log is completed correctly

Station_Call = club call
    Operator = personal call

The additional criteria for clubs was added when a separate table was added for Clubs.

As for the feasibility – yes, 200 can be a challenge (especially with current band conditions) but of my 86 references activated (all as a solo operator), I have passed 200 at 33 of them… although many of them did take two goes

Kevin (K4VD)
    Participant

OK… I understand the need for challenges and such. I had a different idea going into this about what those challenges might be. There’s the fun challenge of putting together a field-worthy package, getting setup up in nature, having people visit the picnic table or rock and speak a little about what we’re doing, and making contacts of course.

But it seems limiting to say that my one day out of a year to visit a certain park that I happen to be near (for business, just passing through, whatever) will not count as an activation for the club because I can’t get 200 contacts in the 4 hours I can spare.

I understand I get personal credit. I’m just not sure why the club couldn’t get credit.

I’m the new guy. This weekend was my first WWFF journey and I had a blast. But as the new guy, I get to make all sorts of crazy requests. It’s expected, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for the responses…

Kev K4VD

w3aax
    Participant

I have to agree with Kev on this. It may be easy for someone in Europe to obtain 200 qsos for a club, but that doesn’t happen from K or VK. You guys are going to have to make this system a bit less eurocentric all the way around at some point if you want more people to get involved. 100 QSOS is a bit more reasonable. Just my 2 cents. 73 W3AAX

w3aax
    Participant

I have to agree with Kev on this. It may be easy for someone in Europe to obtain 200 qsos for a club, but that doesn’t happen from K or VK. You guys are going to have to make this system a bit less eurocentric all the way around at some point if you want more people to get involved. 100 QSOS is a bit more reasonable. Just my 2 cents. 73 W3AAX

w3aax
    Participant

If Paul ever returns, I’ll ask for a vote on this.

Andrew M0YMA
    Keymaster

As an occasional (solo) operator of club-call MX0WFF I have mixed views… many of my ‘club’ activations are valid for me as the op, but not the club.

I guess it boils down to what we consider ‘club’ activations to be… is just using a club callsign a club activation?

K4IZ
    Participant

As best I can tell, a “club activation” is just using a club callsign.

I, too, think the rigid 200 contact requirement isn’t encouraging adoption. Kevin’s idea of (number of participants)*(44) with an upper limit of 200 is quite sane. It’s a sliding scale that fits small group outings as well as large. There are a lot of clubs out there, and it seems feasible that many of them might only have a couple members who actively chase something like WWFF, SOTA, NPOTA, etc. Those clubs might also have occasions when folks try to activate a park far away from home. When operating far from home, it’s often impractical to impossible to schedule another chance to complete the activation when it may require plane tickets, many hours of driving each way, or multiple days off from work. For example, I personally have plans to travel across the country, and plan on trying to activate a park during my trip. It is unlikely that I could obtain 200 contacts during that attempt, so I will not bother using the club callsign. If I could stand a chance of getting a valid activation under the club callsign, however, then I could contribute something of value <i>to my club</i> by helping them get closer to an award. That’s what clubs are about, right? Like minded people joining together with common goals an ideals. A group effort. A chance for each individual to contribute a small part to the whole.

An ugly (IMHO) way to handle this is with national rules. Already within K-land we have a national rule saying individual activators only require 10 QSOs instead of 44. Perhaps we can have a club activation rule that’s specific to K-land requiring less than 200 contacts for a club? Again, ugly, but maybe a stopgap.

w3aax
    Participant

It doesn’t appear that the club logs are being counted at this point in the Top Operators section (Andrew?)

I will see what Andrew can do for us at his level. I agree with the counts being 44 for a club call for an activation. This is not like Europe where they have these 3 to 4 day excursion field day-like operations. We are lucky if we get 2 or 3 guys together, and hit a park for a couple hours. Different mindset and culture.

If this can’t be done from Andrew’s side, then I will try and incorporate my own club awards. They are important to get done because clubs are a big part of getting the word out.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Club Disadvantage’ is closed to new replies.
Translate ยป